Chilling and hypothermia
Signs are depressed attitude, low body temperature (below 96 degrees), decrease respiratory rate, shivering
(which is absent if body temperature is below 90 degrees); unconsciousness..
4. Move animal to a warm, protected place
5. Cover with blankets and gently rub the body (not extremities) to aid rewarming
6. Use an electric heater or heating pads (with caution so as not to burn) if body temperature is very low
7. If conscious, give warm sugar water
8. If unconscious, get to veterinarian immediately
Frostbite occurs most frequently in body areas sparsely covered with hair of areas of poor blood circulation
(tips of ears, tails, scrotum). This is typical with stray animals.
9. Move animal to warm, protected place.
10. Rewarm by moist heat application (85 degrees) or immersions in warm water. Do not rub or apply pressure dressing or ointments.
Heatstroke is most commonly seen in dogs that are confined in some manner in hot weather. Signs are heavy panting, difficult breathing, vomiting, rapid pulse, high body temperature (106-110 degrees), and collapse. To treat heatstroke:
11. Cool animal by submerging in cool water (NOT ice water).
12. Keep wet and cool.
13. Monitor temperature. When the temperature reaches 100 degrees, dry animal and discontinue cooling.
14. Encourage animal to drink, but DO NOT force.
15. If collapsed, contact a veterinarian as severe metabolic disturbances can occur.
tag: pet exposure injuries, pet injuries, post-exposure prophylaxis, dog bite, pit bulls, pet, rabbits,forced-air heating,pet injuries, natures tears,neurological injury,spinal cord, eye symptoms, pet injuries, dog bite injuries,dry eye symptoms, dry eye symptoms, medical attention, bacterial infection, personal injury, eye diseases, pet injuries, brain injury, pet injuries, pet scan, self-adhering bandage,head injuries, dogs and cats, pet injuries, pet shops, dog paw, pet injuries, traumatic injuries,pet injuries, physical rehabilitation,pet injuries, cranial cruciate ligament, dog groomer, cat paw, pet door,