- Any cat that is having trouble urinating may have an obstructed urethra which is a medical emergency.
- “Water” is the most important word when considering urinary tract health.
- Feeding a water-rich diet of canned or homemade food is critical for urinary tract health.
- Feeding dry (water-depleted) food contributes significantly to urinary tract dieases.
- Cats consume double the amount of water when fed a water-rich diet versus dry food. This fact considers both sources of water: food and water bowl.
- Urinary tract infections are significantly over-diagnosed leading to antibiotic abuse.
- Blood in the urine is not necessarily indicative of an infection.
- Cases of sterile (non-infectious) cystitis (inflammed bladder wall) are far more common than infections.
- It is important to define the “I” in “UTI.” Infection? Inflammation?
- Crystals are very commonly erroneously diagnosed and over-treated with so-called “prescription” diets.
- I do not use any prescription diets other than the occasional use of canned s/d, temporarily.
Share the joy